Old February 22nd 11, 07:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joel[_4_]

Default Anyone carry a folding tire?

Interesting. What I should do is cut a section from my current ruined
tire and just tuck that in my saddle bag for an emergency boot. Thanks
for the idea - DIY and economical.

Yeah, I hesitated about that 15 years statement. While it's 100% true
I'm sure I tipped some kind of karmic balance somewhere and will get a
flat week once I get my tire replaced :-)

On 2/22/2011 12:29 PM, Doc O'Leary wrote:
In articleIfGdnRVY3epCY_7QnZ2dnUVZ_sydnZ2d@giganews. com,
wrote:

My question to all you commuters: do you carry a folding tire for cases
like this? They look a little pricier than normal tires, and I'm
wondering if this is overkill on my part or if that's something regular
commuters carry in a pannier.

It all depends on the daily conditions. If you're not even getting a
flat but once every 15 years, it doesn't seem worthwhile to bring a
whole new tire on every trip on the off chance you get a catastrophic
blowout.

Most people I know do carry a boot of some kind. Maybe a small strip of
tire from an old one, but having a length of duct tape will work as
well. If you have to improvise, a folded dollar bill is usually strong
enough to get the job done, too.