Old August 25th 18, 07:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Bus bike rack too short, how to strap in a bike quickly?

On 2018-08-24 09:21, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Friday, August 24, 2018 at 11:25:58 AM UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot
wrote:
On Friday, August 24, 2018 at 10:35:42 AM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:
Couldn't believe it. Those great agency folks obviously didn't
test the bike racks for our local buses before signing the
contract. Long story short my 29er bike didn't fit in and neither
did my friend's. Luckily the driver was patient and helpful. We
had to load the bikes reversed so the hook goes over the rear
wheel. Not easy because of my panniers but worked, somehow. The
front wheels now rode up on the other side of the rack slot. We
both had bungee cords with which we strapped them down as hard as
we could. Oh, and the slot width barely fit my 2.25" wide MTB
tires barely squeezed in and I had to push down hard. The rack
looks like this:

https://ixquick-proxy.com/do/spg/sho...8df2678ec2064b

When we arrived another rider put his 26" MTB on there on even that
barely fit in (rear wheel rode up half an inch).

Does anyone know a better "strap down" method that is faster
than wrapping a bungee around rim and rack numerous times?

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

You should look into getting a few Cohglans Arno Straps. They are
like super long nylon toestraps and have a metal buckle that does
not fall apart when reefed really tight. I'ved used them to secure
a recliner rocker chair to my rear bike rack. I also use them for
fastening everything to the bike when touring. In addition to that
I use them for holding the rolled up sleeping bag, tent etcetera
instead of having to fumble with laces etcetera. Here's a link to
an actual card with two Arno straps on it.

https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/...9227/cat101260

Aha, Arno straps! Thanks, those look very good. They can also come in
handy when something structural breaks on the bike during a trail ride.

You can get them in lengths of 36" to 60". The straps are 3/4" wide.

Cheers

Addendum

I forgot to mention that I use those Arno Straps to secure my
mountain bicyle to the front rack on our inter-city bus. It's great
insurance for when the bus is running at highway speeds.

On the freeway the bus driver really stepped on it and actually passed a
tour bus. I was concerned that the handlebar of my bike might smash a
front window on the bus but despite being just 2" from it that didn't
happen. He took corners Mario Andretti style and luckily neither bike
flew out sideways. The bungees were all that was holding them sideways
to the bus depending on curve direction (away from the hook).

If I was an engineer on the design review for such a rack (they don't
seem to hold any design reviews ...) I'd insist that there are wheel
hooks for front and rear wheel. And, of course, slots long enough for
29ers and 27-1/2 bikes. In fact, then you could leave the slots open to
the curb side making loading and unloading much easier for older riders
who can't lift a bike upwards while bent over (something even young
people should avoid).

Don't forget to design for small wheel, short wheelbase shopping bikes.
And for long wheelbase "flatfoot" bikes. For short wheelbase and long
wheelbase recumbents. For recumbents with 20" wheels and 700c wheels.
For under-seat steering and above-seat steering. For tandems, including
conventional, small wheel, and recumbent. For tall bikes and for
antiques, including high wheelers. (Most of those are very valuable.)
For carbon fiber frames as well as metal. For folding bikes, especially
if carrying packs, because those frequently can't go into the bus. For
electric assist bikes, and electric powered bikes.

Don't worry about unicycles. This is a BIcycle discussion group.

--
- Frank Krygowski

---