Old August 25th 18, 08:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Bus bike rack too short, how to strap in a bike quickly?

On 2018-08-24 10:11, Frank Krygowski wrote:

As to your question: I wonder if a velcro strap with rectangular ring
might work. They're fast to install and surprisingly strong. See, for
example:

https://www.amazon.com/Reusable-Cabl...g=UTF8&s=a ht

Thanks, but I do not trust plastic for this stuff. The Arno straps
that Sir mentioned seem to be the ticket here. Of course, there
remains the risk that a picky bus driver refuses to accept that
mounting method and we'd be stranded.

I do have some with steel loops, but that's OK. I should have known it
wouldn't work for you. ;-)

A certain guy I know well once had a habit of asking my advice. "Can you
come over and look at this? You're an engineer." So I'd visit and hear
"The garage door track is coming loose" or "This table I'm building has
wobbly legs" or "I need a way to carry this bag on the back of my bike"
or a bunch of other things.

In each case, the answer seemed obvious to me - as in "You need
something to resist that bending moment, so if you add a brace here" or
"... if you screw this in two places..." or whatever.

Invariably, he'd say "That won't work, because..." and spout some nonsense.

I still see the guy from time to time. When he asks me about problems
now, I usually say things like "Yeah, I see why that bothers you. What
do you think?" and later "Well, you could try that if you like."

I would have assumed that you as a mechanical engineer would understand
that plastic buckles will not be adequate for holding a bike wheel _on_
the slot (not _in_ the slot) at freeway speeds and when taking corners
at a good clip.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

When I know the bus is going onto a highway, I use two Arno straps on the bus carrier to brace the bike so that it doesn't end up leaning to one side or the other and thus put a lot of sideways pressure on the wheels. Again, I wrap the Arno straps around the FRAME not the wheels so that the sideways stress is take by the frame and straps not the wheels.

Cheers