Old October 20th 18, 02:42 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_10_]

Default Australian drivers carve up cyclists (short video)

On 20/10/2018 12:02, TMS320 wrote:
On 19/10/18 22:34, JNugent wrote:
On 19/09/18 12:04, JNugent wrote:

Does hi-viz not work? If not, you'd better tell the authorities.

Which "authorities" would that be?

You're the best person to know what you had in mind when you first
mentioned "the authorities" a month and 5 replies ago.

Easy. The authorities for the purposes of researching the benefits of
easier visibility for cyclists are the Department of Transport (and the
road research laboratory).

To answer your other question, there are requirements covering places of
work. Though I have no idea idea how much take up is mandatory and how
much is individual businesses voluntarily following guidelines. If
you've never noticed the number of people wandering about in hi-vis,
either you never leave the house or it should serve as a strong hint
that it serves no purpose.

You have no idea at all?

That's

We all know about the number of people we see using hi-viz in public and
semi-private locations, presumably for safety-related reasons.

But you obviously believe that they are all misguided to do so, since
wearing distinctive hi-viz would not, in your opinion (for what it's
worth) make cyclists safer. And since cyclists are peculiarly
vulnerable, that's quite a claim for you to make.

Since you use Thunderbird, it offers options that might assist you.
Under Preferences - Account settings - [your newsgroup account] -
Synchronisation & Storage, select 'Delete messages more than [**] days
old' and 'Remove bodies from messages more than [**] days old'.

[**] I have chosen 30 days.

Have you?

That's nice.

I also set View - Threads - Unread

Do you?

That's nice.

Do you have any particular reason for not wanting threads or posts older
than a fixed period unread or not replied to?

Or do you perhaps purport to issue the above advice by way of a set of
instructions?

You know how much I value your opinion.

BTW: There was a time when I used to travel with a Windows laptop with a
news-reader app installed. I recall once posting from GMT-8 and being
advised that my system clock was wrong (it wasn't). When I pointed out
that the time was correct for where I was, someone asked whether I was
on the USA west coast. When I confirmed that this was the case one
particularly loony ukrc poster said I was a "****ing liar" (as we all
know, that's how a lot of cyclists talk in normal discourse, especially
to people they have never met).

But now, the Windows machine has given way to a Macbook Pro (for various
reasons which don't need to concern us here). And whilst that is
excellent for emails and for certain other things, I still haven't found
a suitable news-reader app for it. So things tend to be left until I get
back.

FWIW, on some NGs, especially the ones with hundreds of posts a day, I
do adopt a "mark it all read" policy. There is no need to do that on
uk.rec.cycling or on several other groups, where the number of posts in
two or three weeks is manageable.