Old July 10th 20, 07:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Cassette change?

On 7/10/2020 12:16 PM, wrote:
On Friday, July 10, 2020 at 9:15:03 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Thursday, July 9, 2020 at 6:08:06 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 7/9/2020 5:59 PM, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 9 Jul 2020 10:23:22 -0700 (PDT), Mark Cleary
wrote:

I am easy on drive-train's. I get 6000 miles on chains without going over the limit on 11 speed shimano. My question is right now my cassette a 11-28 has some 16000 miles on it and works fine. No Skipping I am getting ready to put a new chain on pretty soon maybe another 1000 miles. Should I go ahead and swap out the cassette. My instincts tell me to just keep riding. If for some reason a new chain causes a skip then yes i need new cassette. The bike is Ultegra 6800 and shifts like a dream. I put a new cable on the rear today and was thinking maybe just order up a not only the chain but a new cassette. Cassette are a mystery on wear for sure.

What do all the minds in here think? It is not broke leave alone or just go new and be done for hopefully anther 16000 miles, not kilometres.

Deacon Mark

I believe that there is data to show that worn cassettes or chain
rings accelerate chain wear.

Really? Where?

Seems counterintuitive given that worn chains remove the
face of the sprocket, not the other way around.
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/WORN.JPG

Wear begins between rivet and roller not on the sprocket
tooth face.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

On my manual DuraAce setup the new chain appeared to be jumping teeth on the idler pullies. Chris Robinson thought that it was the derailleur hanger out of alinement so he is looking at it. Which this stupid lockdown it is difficult to get any face to face time so later today when he opens I have to call him and see what is going on. The setup would NOT stop making noise which is disconcerting after all I've paid to build it.

Why do you suppose the spelling corrector which normally signals everything couldn't find alignment?

"Alinement" is a valid word. Your spelling mistake was akin to mixing up
"two" and "too" and "to." All are valid words.

-------------------------

'Spell Checker Blues'

Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea