Old July 9th 18, 05:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

Default Safety inflation

On Fri, 6 Jul 2018 15:02:21 +0000 (UTC), Ralph Barone
wrote:

It's a deep state conspiracy to scare all cyclists off the road and
put us all safely in our basements on Zwift, where we belong.

Oh, there's been a big uptick in the populist "bikes don't belong"
brigade in the past couple of years hereabouts.

Some of that is due to some high profile fatal bike-car collisions
(three that I can think of offhand, two of which apparently involved the
cyclist running a red light or stop sign and the other a hit-and-run
drunk driver). Some of it is due to several thoroughfares getting badly
designed bike lanes that also resulted in homeowners and businesses
losing onstreet parking and/or the loss of a lane of traffic, resulting
in backups many blocks long while drivers have plenty of time to
contemplate the empty bike lanes (we have a Minneapolis Bike Coalition
and a St. Paul Bike Coalition that have sprung into existence to push
for these in the past few years, neither of which seem to have the
foggiest notion of competent bike lane design).

My favorite compliaints are the grousing based on the canard of "bikes
don't pay taxes" and that we are therefore getting to use the roads for
free. I wonder where all that money I send to the government goes, if
I'm not paying my fair share of taxes.