Old October 24th 17, 09:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

Default California law about E-bike use for 70 and above?

On 2017-10-24 12:40, Doug Landau wrote:
On 2017-10-19 13:40, Doug Landau wrote:

My purely pedal-powered MTB is by now well above 40lbs with
tool kit and all. Plus usually several large stainless
thermos bottles with water. Plus occasionally one with
homebrew IPA in there. The battery for the lights weighs a
bit as well and needed an "impact-proof" ABS enclosure.

It's full suspension so I had to modify the back in a way
that it looks more like the rear end of a dirt bike, in
order to be able to pack stuff for longer rides. The
regular single-boom racks don't work because the boom will
buckle during hard rides and be too hard on the seat tube
welds.

Alright, alright, alright. Let's see a pic of this POS
already, Esé

Have to get my camera going again. It quit after the last MTB
ride, it is mechancially nearing its end. This is the bike
before the mod:

http://www.analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/Muddy3.JPG

Now there is a diagonal U-shaped strut mid-tube to under the
panniers, a large machined clamp around the middle of the seat
tube (in the triangle), the electrical box (for lighting,
music, etc.) is smaller and now on that strut, and there is an
additional top trunk.

Meh.

You'd show more appreciation if you'd picked up a few 40-oz hammers
on tour.

I picked it up! I tucked it under a bungee, resumed pedaling,
changed my mind after 5 or 10 seconds, and returned it to the
gutter.

But back to Joerg's bike, well, I expected to see something a little
more chitty-chitty-bang-bang

Camera works. Here it is:

http://www.analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/Muddy4.JPG

The mod has proven itself over about 1000mi, most of them hard miles,
with heavy loads. The top trunk addition is fairly new, since about
200mi, but works well also. It sometimes carries homebrew IPA :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

That is starting to took like a suitable contraption. Have you considered tire wipers and orange whip flag or a 2m radio antennae