Old August 20th 09, 01:15 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Edward Dolan

Default Any one else get mistaken for a Hobo?

wrote in message
[...]

It was Bicycling magazine I think. And Los Angeles was the town

discussed. But it was not people who could not afford public
transportation as the subject. Public transport is cheap. Even
$2-3-4-5 each way for bus or subway. Compared to gas and parking,
cheap cheap cheap. Especially parking. The main bike riders were
homeless, unemployed, day laborers, poor people in this magazine
article. They could not afford a car, gas, insurance, parking, etc,
etc. Lots of costs with owning a car.

Anything over $1 for a pubic ride is outrageous. It is amusing to me how we
all get used to being robbed on a daily basis. I remember riding the subway
in NYC for 10 cents. That was about what it was worth.

If buses and subways are not cheap to use, they are not performing what
they were designed to do, which is to provided cheap transportation to the
public at large. Like I said, anything over $1 is robbery.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka