Old May 2nd 17, 06:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Default I hate having to buy a gruppo

Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/1/2017 1:38 PM, Doug Landau wrote:
On Saturday, April 29, 2017 at 7:36:09 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Friday, April 28, 2017 at 11:22:26 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, April 28, 2017 at 10:53:03 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Wow, you're right, Jay, that is really a smokin' deal.

I am just about to go ahead and order it, except:

Is there any way to convert the braze-on front derailleur to a clamp?

And I wonder how much extra the Shimano 105 bottom bracket would cost?

Yes, separate claims for braze-on FDs are widely available. e.g.
https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-d.../10769290.html

I can walk down the street and buy an Ultegra Italiano BB for $19.99:
https://www.westernbikeworks.com/pro...VgfgodQbE AKQ

I might even get a discount because I'm a LEADER'S CLUB member. I
repeat, not a loser follower. A LEADER!

Your expense will be respacing the rear triangle and getting an 11sp
compatible rear hub -- assuming you don't want to do it at home. And
you'll have to make the investment in a BB wrench -- if you don't have
one for another bike, and a cassette tool. Also consider a decent
torque wrench to get the pinch-bolts on the crank just right. Modern
technology comes at a price.

How do you respace aluminum or carbon frames?

I REALLY like my steel frames now.

How about bamboo frames? Can those things be cold-set?

Oak can be steam bent. It might work for bamboo. If it can, Andrew's
probably already done it.

Anhydrous ammonia is the magic tool for bending wood. It temporarily breaks
the connections between the wood fibres, allowing wood to bend like
plastic, but after it evaporates, the wood fibres reattach and the wood
regains its original stiffness and strength. I don't know if it works on
bamboo.