Old May 2nd 17, 02:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default I hate having to buy a gruppo

On 5/1/2017 10:03 PM, wrote:
On Monday, May 1, 2017 at 3:09:29 PM UTC-7, Doug Landau wrote:
On Monday, May 1, 2017 at 12:16:14 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Monday, May 1, 2017 at 11:22:28 AM UTC-7, Doug Landau wrote:
On Monday, May 1, 2017 at 7:15:17 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Sunday, April 30, 2017 at 1:06:09 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Sunday, April 30, 2017 at 2:41:38 PM UTC-5, wrote:

105 is bulletproof but also it isn't repairable if something does break. And I don't like having to do that double bend on the new version shift wires.

Repairable? I've cycled for one or two years. I've broken a few spokes. Repaired them easily. Broken a pedal spindle. Replaced with new pedal. Broken an early Ergo internals. Repaired with the commonly sold part to fix this slightly defective part. Worn out some bar end shifters. They no longer clicked cleanly so tossed away. Not sure I've broken anything else. Not sure what this "repairable" thing you speak of is. Broken parts on bikes are just replaced with a new part. No one repairs the broken part. A bike is not a damaged car body panel where they take Bondo and fix the dents. You just throw the broken part away and put on a new part. Kind of like with chains and cassettes. You don't fix them. You just replace them.

Double bend on the shift wires? You mean taping the wires to the bars and bending them around the corner and when it comes out at the stem? Is this too difficult for you to figure out? If you ever do figure out how to make the bends, you will discover that the STI shifters and brakes work very, very, very well.

The 105 stuff is riveted together where the Ultegra parts have screws. The expensive component is the levers so being able to repair those is important in my book. That's why I always use Campy.

What do you think about RX-100 7 speed? That was a great grouppo

I believe that the RX-100 was the 105 of that time.

It was the Sora of the time. There was 105.

At that time, folks on this group were saying that 105, Ultegra, and Dura-Ace are all of the same materials and construction; the only difference was the degree of sculpting they received to shave grams.

At that time there was RX-100, 600 and Dura Ace if memory serves. I don't remember the name "Ultegra" until the brifters.

Here's a refresher:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/sh83.html

Shimano 600 (variant = 600AX) became New 600 then Ultegra.
105 became New 105 and then 105.
Sante was between 105 and Ultegra. The others are less
expensive. For Shimano's opinion on product placement, look
at the part number. 600 series start with a 6. 105 (and
Sante) start with a 5, and so on.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/