Old April 25th 18, 01:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default old combination spanner

On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 20:38:09 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

David Scheidt wrote:

I was recently looking at real wrenches
recently, and 12 point combination wrenches
are much cheaper than 6 points. That's from
real made in the USA brands. I don't know if
that's demand, or a result of
production costs.

Is there a reason you want 6 points? I have too
little experience from them to say how it would
differ from 12 points. But I take it there
would be a noticable difference.

Yes, there is a reason :-) Impact Wrench sockets are nearly all 6
point as they are much stronger and "grip" the bolt head better.

A 6 point wrench has to be turned 60 degrees between flats while a 12
point requires only half that number. Thus the 12 point can be used
when there is less room to turn the wrench.

A 6 point wrench (depending on tolerances) bears on the entire length
of the 6 flats on a common bolt hear (or nut) while a 12 point bears
on a much smaller portion of the flats.

You can google on something like "Advantages of 6 point wrench".
You'll get about 480 thousand replies.
--
Cheers,

John B.