Old November 13th 18, 04:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Chain Lube?

On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 14:11:38 +0700, John B. slocomb
wrote:

If one is lubricating a clean chain

"Clean Chain" is an oxymoron.

- I say that as I've seen chains
so dirty that you'd have needed a shovel to clean them - I'm fairly
sure that the mix of naphtha and the actual lubricants will enter the
pin and roller area.

Not in the quantities usually applied to a chain. That's why
industrial chains, such as on conveyor belts have brush oilers:
https://www.zoro.com/lubesite-chain-oiler-flat-brush-8-oz-fb-8/i/G1530903/
I probably would try one on my bicycle except that it's difficult to
contrive a mounting arrangement that follows the chain line as I shift
through the gears. I do have a paper design for a derailleur with a
built in lubricator, but it's not practical. It sticks out even
further than the derailleur and will probably be damaged if it hits
something.

Maybe something like this:
https://felixwong.com/2014/09/z-chain-oiler-review/

Also, I wanted to try more than one brush oiler so that I can wash,
rinse, dry, and lube as I ride using some kind of shifting mechanism
to switch from solvents to the appropriate oil for riding conditions.

At least, another lubricant that I used for a
number of years - a mix of petroleum lubricants and a light carrier
which evaporated leaving a greasy residue - did. Unless, that is, one
could run an unlubricated chain for several years. :-)

If the chain is sloppy and loose, oil smeared on the chain will
eventually arrive to the pin and sleeve. However, I doubt if grease
will do that. If the solvent carrier evaporates before the oil has
time to work its way into the mechanism, it will be too thick to move
and remain on the surface.

What I would like to try is a chain where the pin or sleeve have a
spiral groove cut along its length to "pump" oil through the bearing.
Just keep adding oil to lubricate. When it's time to clean the chain,
just remove the chain, reverse the direction of rotation, and the
accumulated grease and crud will be pushed out the direction it
arrived.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D