Old June 9th 06, 12:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,alt.mountain-bike

Default "Mountain biking is no more damaging than other forms of recreation, including hiking."

"SMS" wrote in message
S Curtiss wrote:

People need to adjust to other people. Consideration for other people,
regardless of activity, is the priority.

Well-stated.

It's not a question of who was there first. Nor, as some mountain bikers
might desire, a question of which users there are more of.

Since everyone agrees that trail and wildlife impact is no worse for
bicyclists than hikers, you cannot argue for access of one group over
another based on impact. You could argue to not allow equestrians, since
they have a much bigger impact on trails and wildlife than hikers and
cyclists.

There is not only the question of the impact on trails and wildlife, but the
impact on other users. Hikers and equestrians do not seem to conflict as
much as hikers and bikers. It is all about mental attitudes and how one
views wilderness. Vandeman concentrates on the impact issue with regard to
trails and wildlife whereas I am mostly concerned about the mental and
spiritual dimensions of how different users view wilderness. Frankly, I
would not have such a big issue with mountain bikers if I thought they
viewed wilderness with respect. Instead, I see too many who are only into
wilderness for fun and games. Wilderness is just a mean of recreation for
them, not a pilgrimage of the soul like it is for us hikers.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka