Old June 9th 06, 06:13 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,alt.mountain-bike

Default "Mountain biking is no more damaging than other forms of recreation, including hiking."

On Fri, 9 Jun 2006 06:42:40 -0500, Edward Dolan wrote:

(irrelevant newsgroups trimmed; get a grip Ed and stop being a troll)

There is not only the question of the impact on trails and wildlife, but the
impact on other users. Hikers and equestrians do not seem to conflict as
much as hikers and bikers. It is all about mental attitudes and how one
views wilderness ... Wilderness is just a mean of recreation for
them, not a pilgrimage of the soul like it is for us hikers.

As Curtiss keeps saying, bikes aren't allowed in designated wilderness so
anyone biking there is doing so illegally. They're not going to get any
support from me (or sympathy if they're arrested or their bike is
confiscated). You may not like the fact that biking is recreation, but
that's what recreational areas are for. Besides, nearly all of these areas
have designated hiking trails.

So if people aren't biking in designated wilderness, and don't bike on
designated hiking trails, WHAT EXACTLY IS YOUR BEEF, Ed?

If the problem is people doing stuff illegally, then call the cops. I
don't ride on hiking-only trails, so I'll never catch them in the act, and
besides I'll never be riding anywhere near where you live so you can't
expect me to solve this problem. If you want tips on how to clearly
identify the bike and rider, we may be able to help. You need to report it
to the rangers and/or police instead of just Usenet.

--
-BB-
To e-mail me, unmunge my address