Old March 15th 13, 09:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Edward Dolan

Default Ed Dolan the Great - telling it like it is!

wrote in message

On Monday, March 11, 2013 2:17:17 PM UTC-5, Edward Dolan wrote:

[...]
Maybe cycling is good for us after all if it makes us tough when we need
to be.

Because of pain in my lower back and pelvis, I didn't ride at all last
year. I think the problem is scar tissue from radiation. I will give it
a go again this year now that I am feeling a somewhat better, but with
testosterone at castrate levels, my performance will never again be the
same and recovery between efforts slower. Consequently, I have no
intention of logging mega-miles and competing with those half my age.
Sadly, those days are behind me now. As much as I enjoyed mixing it up
with the younger set, riding hard, far, and fast, in a way it is a relief
not to be burdened by the compulsion to do so anymore.

It would never occur to me to try to keep up with those younger than myself.
Unlike you, I gave up on riding hard and fast decades ago. If riding an
upright causes much back pain, I would recommend a recumbent bicycle. You
will be slower over all, but you will be more comfortable although you may
have to tweak the seat a bit. The best thing about cycling is what it does
for the mind, not the body.

I notice in my walks around town that I am not as steady on my feet as I
used to be. If and when I ever get unsteady on my 2 wheel recumbents, I will
resort to my 3 wheel recumbents. The one thing I never want to do at my age
is take a fall. Everything changes over time ... and so do we!

Ed Dolan the Great