Old April 4th 15, 03:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default AG: Country Roads

On 4/3/2015 6:31 AM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Fri, 03 Apr 2015 00:13:02 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 4/2/2015 8:16 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Thu, 02 Apr 2015 08:32:34 -0400, Duane
wrote:

On 01/04/2015 7:32 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Wed, 01 Apr 2015 11:47:21 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 4/1/2015 4:48 AM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Sun, 29 Mar 2015 23:58:06 -0400, Frank Krygowski wrote:
I was just talking about
the motorists who come up and blare the horn out of pure rudeness. IME,
they're extremely unlikely to cause a crash. They just want to show
dominance, and inform us that in their screwball opinion, we have no
right to the road.

I can only assume that you live in an area with a lot of very rude
people.

I can honestly say that it happens so rarely here that I even can't
remember the last time it happened to me.

Actually, no. I'm the guy who says it's a rare occurrence. I think I
get a horn blare maybe once a month at maximum.

Of, course I don't ride in a manner to impede others :-)

That Escalade guy's "impedence" was that he actually had to change
lanes. He didn't even have to slow down. People like that might blare
their horn if I were walking my bike along a sidewalk. Screw 'em.

As I said, apparently a land of many rude people.

It's not that it's a land of many rude people. It's that the rude
people are usually loud, obnoxious and often dangerous. Same here in
Quebec. It's rare that I agree with Frank but in this case he's right.
Screw 'em.

And according to Frank, there are so many of them...

Not what I said! I said I get maybe one horn blare per month,
_maximum_. Re-read above! (I actually think it's considerably less.)

I had assumed from your description that it was a daily, or even more
frequent, experience. But once a month? That is verging on the
insignificant, isn't it? Good Lord, in the rainy season here I get wet
at least once a week. But I don't rant and rave about it :-)

I think it's not only verging on the insignificant, it's deeply into
that territory.

I've been in so many discussions where people were (and are) expressing
deep fear of traffic, claiming they need all sorts of special facilities
and protective equipment to ride bikes, talking about how car drivers
will just run you over, etc. Many of them add explicitly that one dares
not ride anywhere near the middle of the lane because of the terrible
risk.

And my problems have always been insignificant ever since I accepted and
acted on the fact that I have full legal rights to the road. Go figure.

--
- Frank Krygowski