Old January 18th 05, 12:45 AM
Zoot Katz

Mon, 17 Jan 2005 12:48:01 -0500, ,
"tomhooper" wrote:

In each case I replaced a couple of parts, recabled the brakes or
shifters as necessary and off I went. They are all garaged. I guess I'm
lucky, but just wanted folks to know you can get fairly decent bikes for
next to nothing, and a little work. Good luck hunting.

We enjoyed a transit workers strike a few years back which lasted the
whole summer. People were going into their basement to dig out the old
bike figuring they'd just dust it off and ride it to work. Many of the
old bikes ended up in the trash when they learned what it would cost
to have a bike shop repair them. I was bringing them home, getting
them running with minimal investment, road testing them and leaving
them at bus -stops. I recycled three that way and have provided free
foundlings to several others. I've been offered money for some of
them, so I accepted it.
--
zk