Old November 11th 17, 03:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Does anyone know PM-PM-F/R203 adapters

On 2017-10-18 16:41, Joerg wrote:
Attention, a purely technical post :-)

Does anyone know whether these adapters are for going from 160mm native
post mount to 203mm rotors?

https://erpimgs.idealhere.com/ImageF...963c864243.jpg

The bellied version (which I'd need) seems to only be available from
Chinese sellers and they either don't understand English or plain don't
know what they are selling. Or both. For example, when I asked the
either-or question whether the adapter is for 160mm to 203mm or for
180mm to 203mm the answer was "No". Refining the question in great
detail resulted in "It's for 203mm". Needless to say, asking for
dimensions so I can calculate it myself is generally fruitless as well.

So, I just dunnit. The front and back wheels of the MTB now both have 8"
or 203mm rotors. Shimano SM-RT66 (SLX Deore) for now, long term I'll be
looking for solid rotors.

Other than the usual swap dance of washers for shimming until it was
just right it was a painless switch. Braking feels nice and sturdy.

Shimano recommends 18 to 35 in-lbs of torque for the rotor bolts. Seems
wimpy and the previous ones sat way tighter, so I gave it a bit more oomph.

While at it I adjusted out the rattle and play that always develops in
the steerer after a few hundred trail miles. Every time I torque down
those tiny stem bolts at the spec'd 44 in-lbs it feels like they'll
strip the threads out any second.

Shimano has tightening plates on their six-bolt rotors. Avid uses a higher torque spec. 5nm should be plenty to keep your stem and headset tight, but probably not in Cameron Park.

- Jay Beattie.