Old November 12th 17, 10:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

Default Alfine 11 hub skipping under hard pedaling

On 10/11/17 14:50, wrote:
Dear All,

Thank you for your comments and advice. I investigated a little more
and I have isolated the skipping to the 8th gear. It only happens
after pedaling for a while so it is hard to replicate on a stand.
Now, every time it happens, I change the adjustment a little and
experiment with the frequency of the skips.

Then I would say it's the cable. Alfine 11s are finicky sods for cable
runs an a nice free cable. Check it.

Also, as you suggested, I need to change the oil. The Shimano or
Rohloff oils are ridiculously expensive, so I have found this
alternative at a reasonable price:

Liqui Moly 1401 GL4 SAE 80 W Transmission Oil

For about $10 per quart it will allow me to rinse the hub more than
once and more change the oil. What do you think?

I use the green Shimano oil as I scored it at a good price for a litre.
In weight/feel/smell, it seems very close to ATF fluid, but a bit
thinner. Imho, it'd probably work fine, but I ain't paying for the
replacement!