Old May 19th 17, 04:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default MTB low pressure and pinch flats

On 5/18/2017 11:22 PM, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 18 May 2017 10:02:20 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

On Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 1:14:41 AM UTC-4, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 17 May 2017 12:13:05 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 5/17/2017 2:36 AM, James wrote:
I thought this might be interesting to some people, enough for them to
pass comment.

Perhaps not, or it got lost in the noise about 14 year old record and
Shimano Headsets?

On 15/05/17 13:19, James wrote:
http://www.mtbiking.com.au/news/banger-anti-flat-system

Looks like the black foam lagging a plumber might use when installing
hot water pipes.

It didn't seem different enough from a dozen similar attempts over the
years. It looks like yet another example of bicycle-related re-invention.

Plus I rarely ride the mountain bike these days.

I've got a mountain bike frame that I use as a utility bike. I removed
the front forks and replaced them with a solid fork and added drop
bars as I find them more comfortable. The most noticeable difference
is that the 1.5 inch tires don't seem to lose pressure as quickly as a
road bile with 23mm tires.
--
Cheers,

John B.

I've converted a number of older rigid frame/forks MTB to drop bar and bar end shifteres. They make fantastic touring bikes and tires for them can be bought almost anywhere.

A lot of people like them for riding on dirt roads or roads with big cracks and potholed pavement.

With brifters a drop bar MTB is the cat's meow.

Cheers

I wonder, after you changed the original telescoping front fork to
solid and add drop bars and brifters, can it still be called a "MTB"
:-?

An aside. The utility bile is all aluminum, frame and forks, and still
weighs more then my all steel road bike :-)

A further aside: One friend of mine left town for employment with a
bike touring company. His job became riding with coast-to-coast or
other long distance riders on his company's tours. He was soon spending
most of his life on the bike.

When one tour came through our area, I was among those who rode out to
meet him again. He was on a very different bike than the standard road
bike he used to use. He was now on a fully suspended mountain bike
frame, but with aero 26" wheels, smooth tires, and swoopy aero road bars
with forearm or elbow resting pads. Supposedly the frame was extremely
expensive, so probably fairly light. (I don't remember the frame material.)

--
- Frank Krygowski