Old February 22nd 18, 06:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Ouch. This happened to me once

On 2018-02-22 09:11, sms wrote:
On 2/21/2018 10:57 AM, AMuzi wrote:

I, for one, would rather NOT ride on kiddy paths, a significant reason
among many being I'm hardly ever going where one exists.

You don't understand that most of the bicycle infrastructure is NOT
"kiddy paths." It is mainly used by commuters during the week. On
weekends you may get some small kids on the first quarter mile from
parking areas, but they don't go much further than that.

You should come ride the American River Trail than runs from Sacramento
to Folsom. A very direct ride from suburbs to employment centers.

And quite full during rush hour. Also on weekends and holidays. Many of
those are riders who spend money at restaurants and such.

Some cities have wisened up and are increasingly providing connectors to
the trail. Folsom being the leader they will now even connect a rather
distant singletrack to it. Then a bike lane connector from El Dorado
Hills which will likely siphon off some discretionary spending in their
favor. As it should.

The rewards for such smart city leaders are often very visible. For
example, when I cycle by restaurants or cafes and there are a dozen road
bikes parked out front. Here in Cameron Park that simply does not happen
because our village leaders are not as smart.

... Ditto for several long MUPs in Silicon Valley.

Next time I am down there I'll have to load a bike into the car and
explore that. Last time I had a hotel room in Redwood City and that
didn't seem all that bike-friendly. The next trip will probably be to
San Jose, Brooktree area. Any suggestions for a hotel with good bike
path connectivity?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/