Old May 8th 09, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

Default A possible solution to the trolling problem on this news group

On 2009-05-08, Ian Smith wrote:

I would suggest a retrospective moderation type process as used by
uk.religion.christian - a new poster goes through step 2, after
which the system automatically approves all subsequent posts. If
someone violates step 1, they are moved off the valid list and
onto a manual list. Any post by someone on the manual list goes
to a human moderator before approval.

Admittedly, this lets one bad post through per nym, but it greatly
cuts down the workload on moderators, and eliminates
moderator-induced delay. Nym-shifters need to work through step 2
every time they shift.

AIUI (in uk.religion.christian) the first few posts from a new nym
get manually moderated, and a nym that passes enough times
qualifies for automatic approval (until it gets dinged for abuse).
As you say, this eliminates nym-shifting, and makes it difficult
for known trolls to get through.

I think your description is correct, but I'm not sure it's necessary,
hence my suggestion that the process simply checks for an email-able
poster. You could check for an email-able poster and require at least
n manually approved postings to qualify for the 'assumed good' list.
I'd be more in favour of this the smaller the n. My suggestion
equates to n=0.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig