Old August 30th 19, 06:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Rolling Resistence

On 8/30/2019 11:45 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Thursday, August 29, 2019 at 4:40:16 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 8/29/2019 6:39 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:

No doubt testing one TT bike against another is pretty useless as well. The important factors AGAIN are frontal area and a position that doesn't have the rider squirming all around which would lose all advantage of stream-liming of anything other than the wheels.

Consider - they use rim brakes on the top end TT bikes. For awhile they tried those "hidden" front wheel brakes but it was difficult to design a fork that worked for them and there was no discernable advantage over normal rim brakes.

Now there is far too much sales and marketing of components so all of this new stuff is just so much wasted time and money. Electric shifting gives you what? I have used disk brakes and good V-brakes and I would take the V-brakes in an instant. It is HARD to lock a wheel with V-brakes but it is EASY with hydraulic disks. I still believe that 8 speeds was the best for most purposes. I am always shifting two or three times on my ten speed. Armstrong wanted a 9 speed so that he could carry a climbing gear to go along with his close ratio normal gears. That wasn't a bad idea for a pro - but I'm not a pro.

You'd better be careful. You're starting to agree with what I've been
saying for a long time!

I can't agree with you when you don't even know what I'm saying.

There are quite a few times _nobody_ knows what you're saying. And
that's not limited to the audience.

--
- Frank Krygowski