Old July 11th 18, 04:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default drill/tap in frames

On Sat, 07 Jul 2018 16:27:01 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

Are there any secrets to drilling holes in
steel bike frames? I have a couple of discarded
ones I can test on but I thought I'd
ask anyway.

Do you use normal power hand tools like
a drill-screwdriver and/or a drill press (if
possible with the desired bolt position)?

Do the normal rules apply, e.g. to get
a threaded hole for an M6, you first drill with
a 5.0mm drill?

And you can use chainsaw oil, right?

The greatest problem that I've encountered is that the two bottle
cages are usually too close together at the junction of the seat -
down tube to fit the drill motor :-)

Re tap drill size look it up in any thread manual. The remarkable
stand buy you mention isn't accurate at all. A 5x .8 requires a 4.2mm
hole. A 10x1.5 a 8.5mm hole. The "1 mm smaller" is accurate twice over
the 1mm - 10 mm bolt size ranges :-)
--

Cheers,

John B.