Old November 29th 03, 08:17 PM
Mike Latondresse

Default Why watch TDF in person (really long)

(Andrew Martin) wrote in
om:

Mike Latondresse wrote in message
(Andrew Martin) wrote in
om:

but the view back over Annecy is BEAUTIFUL.
Can't wait.

Annecy alone is beautiful, and nice riding in that area.

Annecy has become our adopted relaxation town when we follow the
tour.
Great rides in and around the area and the lake is so nice to
cool
down. The Forclaz is actually quite a tough climb (even though
it's fairly short).

I know of only one place to rent bike in Annecy, and it was a
pretty suspect ride at best. I can't bring my bike the year
because I'm traveling with the family, but it would be nice to
rent a nice ride for the day before the tour while they all go
shopping. Any ideas on where I can get a 60cm, less than 10 years
old with components anything better than Sora? The last place we
went was in Sevrier (sp?).

Itinerary:
6 days in a Tuscan Villa
2 days in Rome
1 day on the Italian Rivera
2 days in Annecy
2 days in Provence

NO BIKE!!!! Is that blasphemy or what?

Bummer. Couple of years ago we rented a place just outside of Siena for
2 weeks and riding in Tuscany is great, cars are so respectful and
everybody is a tufosi (sp). Didn't go to Rome but drove back to France
along the coast and stayed for a couple of days at a town near the
Italian/French border, neat place.

This spring we rented a house in Provence for 3 weeks (Sablet) which
is near Mt Ventoux and rode up it all 3 ways. Got there going clockwise
from Paris so rode all the TdeF mountain passes on the way down. Then
spent 2 more weeks in a house in the Dentelles during which I broke my
bike. Was I ****ed.

Haven't a clue about bike rental places in Annecy. Hope you have lots
of travel days between those places, you will need them.