Old September 2nd 19, 05:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

Default Yet another cyclist killed. pH (Several, actually)

On Sunday, September 1, 2019 at 10:58:43 PM UTC-7, Tim McNamara wrote:
On Sun, 1 Sep 2019 18:16:28 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

Why would drivers with an open left lane not only drive adjacent to
bicyclists but as close as they can possibly get: and speeding?

Aggression towards someone perceived as weaker is a time-honored way to
prop up one's own feelings of power. Chickens, chimpanzees and humans
all do it. It's the basis of bullying in all social interactions, and
best of all bullying is now a socially acceptable activity as
demonstrated by our Furor. Who needs Twitter when you have a ton and a
half of steel at your command and pedestrians and bicyclists to
terrorize?

Only a small amount of this close passing is that I believe. If you stare at someone to attempt to miss them yo automatically drive closer than you would looking at the center line. I think this is the cause, But you would think that after people learn to drive they would stop doing that and they don't. Many of them actually slow up while passing so yo can tell it isn't aggression though four-wheel drive pickups are aggressive but they are so with everyone.