Old September 3rd 19, 04:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default Possible to get a low spot out of a TUBULAR tire?

On Mon, 02 Sep 2019 20:13:57 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 9/2/2019 8:04 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Mon, 2 Sep 2019 17:50:31 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

I just bought a used bicycle that has tubular tires on it. pparently it has sat for awhile as the rear tire has a low flat spot. NOTE this low spot is DEFIINTELY ON THE TIRE not on the rim which is true. Is there any way to get rid of this low spot on the tire caused by it sitting for some time? I've ridden the tire about 30 kilometers but there's been no change in t hat low flat spot.

Oh,it's definitely a low spot on the tire from sitting and not from improper mounting. The base of the tire is fine.

Cheers

You could try taking the tire off the rim and inflating it to, say
100 psi, and leave it handing on the wall for a week or so. It *might*
regain it's roundness.

I wouldn't.
The angle at which tubular fabric is laid makes it constrict
on the rim when pressured, or turn itself inside out off the
rim which can cause deformation.

Not to argue but I do remember from my "sew up" days that the first
step was to inflate the tire and leave it inflated for a day or so
before trying to force it onto the wheel.

Once you could get the tire onto the wheel you took it off and started
the glue phase(s)

Damn! 30 years of doing it wrong :-)

--

Cheers,