Old January 9th 04, 05:15 PM
Jim Plaia

Default Biker Killed by Mountain Lion

If you think about the effects that the severe drought and fires would
have had on the normal prey of the mountain lions, it's not too
surprising that they are becoming more agressive. With bears, I
believe that we do kill the bear if it becomes necessary because the
idea of a bear thinking human=food would lead to more attacks. I
can't see how it would be different with the lions. On the other
hand, I don't know what time dusk is in this park, but the lions
supposedly hunt near dawn and dusk. If we persist in cutting back
territory for the lions and then running around near their hunting
times on a year that we'd expect them to be hungry, why shouldn't we
expect attacks? Maybe the answer is to be louder and make sure the
cats are cleared out before they see humans and think human=food.

"DH" wrote in message ...
I don't know what the solution is. Do you hunt down the animal for
killing even though that's what it does. If it were a domesticated dog,
we would put it to sleep. Do we kill bears that have attacked humans?
What's the manner we deal with mountain lions?

How should this be handled?