Old September 8th 08, 07:26 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
munimutant

Default conditioning question

That's cool you use a Nordic Track. I used to have one many years ago,
as part of off-season training for real nordic (skating mostly) racing.
Those years taught me alot about conditioning. Way too much than I have
time to write now, but I'll try to contribute some basics that work for
me.

I find training for muni to be very similar to training for xc skiing,
because they're both "total body" sports. You essentially have three
"needs" you're training for: endurance, strength, and power. You get
all three just by riding the muni, but cross-training can be very
beneficial to any sport. For example, I've found that strength training
has REALLY helped me feel more "in charge" of the muni, especially when
steering & correcting using the seat handle.

BTW, obviously you're also training for TECHNIQUE, muscle memory, etc.,
things I lack in a big way right now as a beginner, but since your
question is just about cross-training I'm just focusing on that. Also
it's important to note that beginners do not get the same aerobic
effect in an hour of muni-ing that pros get, because we spend so much
time on UPDs. So cross-training is a great way to keep in shape so that
when we CAN hop through rock gardens like a gazelle, we have the
endurance to keep going for many more miles.

Back to your question. I would recommend getting up to at least 25 min.
sessions on the Nordic Track, preferably 30 if possible, at least 3x a
week, preferably 4. The purpose of this is to raise your aerobic
conditioning, endurance, and anaerobic threshold (that line you cross
when you start breathing like a locomotive). Check your heart rate and
try to hover at 70 percent max (max = 220 minus your age). So if you're
50, your target rate would be 119. The formula varies depending on your
conditioning, you can check the web for more on this.

And man, that Nordic Track (or any exercise machine) can get REAL
boring, so think about mixing it up with some running, swimming or
other aerobic activity.

One cool thing about the Nordic Track is you're working arms & legs,
mostly legs, so it's probably a great choice for muni.

Then add in some strength exercises. Just a quick 20-min session doing
1-2 sets of dumbell curls, military press, pushups, situps, bar dips
and pullups is good. You can do legs too, but I think you get enough of
that on the muni rides. Try to do this 2x - 3x a week.

As for power, that explosive ability to stab the pedals hard and fast
when you need to, probably the best training for that is the muni.

One more element is stretching. Especially for us older folks, I can't
stress the importance of stretching enough. It keeps up limber,
flexible, less injury-prone (or able to recover from one faster) and
much more. Do it while you watch TV.

This is a really basic program, old school. There have surely been many
advances in physical conditioning that you can read about or discuss
with a professional trainer. Interval training, plyometrics and other
activities can be part of a well-rounded program. And of course, don't
overdo it, and consult with your doc if you're going to start really
pushing it beyond your normal regimen.

I'm sure there are countless pro riders who have really effective
routines, and hopefully they'll contribute here and give us all some
good pointers. Hope this helps.

--
munimutant