Old March 20th 18, 03:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default milling machine

On Mon, 19 Mar 2018 19:48:03 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Tue, 20 Mar 2018 08:23:50 +0700, John B.
wrote:

On Mon, 19 Mar 2018 12:21:41 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:
My payment for doing the computers, electrical and motors is that I
get to use the mill to make custom knives. Something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98ly5-1bhHU (0:00 to 4:30)

I thought that you "knife guys" hand forged the blades. At least that
was what Jesse Clift did when he made what was probably the original
Bowie knife :-)

Some do, but I don't. If you skim through the YouTube videos on knife
making, there are different ways to make the blades:
Blacksmith forging (heat it up and beat it into shape).
Grind, belt sand, or file into shape.
Grinding auto leaf springs, used saw blades, or other steel shapes
into something resembling a blade.
CNC mill or grind to shape.
Cheat and buy a kit.
I'm currently in the last category and sending my blades to a heat
treating shop.

The overwhelming majority of the YouTube videos I've watched deal with
forging, grinding, or sanding the blade. That's great for making one
unique knife, but not suitable for production volume, which is what
I'm thinking of doing.

Blade Steels:
http://sharpeningmadeeasy.com/steels.htm
http://www.osograndeknives.com/catal...de-steels.html
https://www.bladehq.com/cat--Steel-Types--332

Heat Treating:
https://evenheat-kiln.com/?p=heat-treating-information

Kits and supplies:
Woodcraft Kits - https://www.woodcraft.com/categories/knife-kits
Knife Kits - http://knifekits.com
Texas Knifemakers Supply - http://texasknife.com
USA Knife Maker - http://usaknifemaker.com
Crazy Crow Trading Post - http://crazycrow.com
K&G - http://knifeandgun.com
Jantz Supply - http://knifemaking.com
Atlanta Cutlery - http://atlantacutlery.com

Incidentally, sharpening all my kitchen knives to an edge sharp enough
for shaving was NOT a good idea. I'm cutting myself quite often and
am slowly destroying my cutting boards and dishes. Paper plates no
longer work as my knives cut through the paper.

I don't do kitchen work but periodically my wife hands me a bunch of
kitchen knives and says "Sharpen them". Generally these are cheap
stainless knives and I've found that simply making a pass across a
grinding wheel on each side works pretty well. It produces a sharp
edge which is not perfectly smooth, more like a very fine tooth saw
which seems to cut better then a perfectly smooth blade.
--
Cheers,

John B.