Old June 24th 09, 05:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

Default Charger for batteries

Simon Lewis wrote:
Stephen Bauman writes:

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 13:10:35 +0200, Simon Lewis wrote:

Ive seen mention for pedal & power and something from motorola, but I
cant find anywhere to purchase such things. I want to trickle
feed/charge my mobile from the hub dynamo when touring. Surely such a
thing exists and works? Most links I find are dead ends or defunct
companies.

Anyone got anything concrete that they have used and can recommend?

I mean, if I can recharge my mobile from a USB port I surely can from a
hub dynamo?

Does your mobile have a charger for an automobile? If so, then you need
to find a suitable way of converting the output from your hub dynamo to
something like the 12-14 volt dc output from a car battery to feed it
into your automobile charger.

If your hub dynamo is already 12 volt then a simple rectifier is all that
is needed. If your hub is the more common 6 volt variety, then a simple
voltage doubler will be required.

Stephen Bauman

Yes. But where is the product I can buy? What is a simple rectifier?

I don't think there is one you can buy. It's easy enough to make one,
you'd need a full-wave rectifier, capacitor & voltage regulator, all can
be purchased from Radio Shack.

If you're not an electrical engineer (I am, but still would probably not
go DIY), you could go with a battery powered USB charger box that uses
standard (AA) cells, and either buy alkaline batteries, or use
rechargeables and recharge them from your dynamo. Peter White sells such
a charger, but only for 6V dynamos. That's assuming you've got a USB phone.