Old September 8th 17, 08:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Taya Chain

On 2017-09-08 08:15, wrote:
On Thursday, September 7, 2017 at 12:39:17 PM UTC-7, Doug Landau
On Wednesday, September 6, 2017 at 1:29:59 PM UTC-7, Joerg
On 2017-08-28 15:59, AMuzi wrote:
On 8/28/2017 4:28 PM,
On Monday, August 28, 2017 at 1:59:20 PM UTC-7, Joerg
On 2017-08-28 13:43, sms wrote:
I replaced the chain that I broke on Saturday with
one I had in my garage that I must have purchased
five to ten years ago.

It has a connecting link and it says "Taya" on it.
It's for 6,7,8 gearing. It seems okay, but I think
that this is the first time I've used a chain with a
connecting link since childhood. I looked up Taya and
it's a big Taiwanese chain manufacturer.

I still have a Sachs-Sedis 7-speed chain on my road
bike which I bought from a friend as NOS, for $6 which
was the old sticker price (the sticker had already
turned brownish). No link, mounted with hammer and
anvil as usual. To my utter amazement it doesn't show
any measurable stretch after over 2000mi and sometimes
I really put the coals on because of our hills. Even
the old Wippermann chains could not rival that. I am
very religious about chain cleaning and lube though.

The old 5-6-7 speed Sachs chains wore out three days
after the bike was junked.

The Sedis (later Sachs-Sedis) material and Delta hardening
process was not only exceptional but unsurpassed down to
today except for possibly Record chains. That ended with
SRAM.

Why is that? In the automotive world such an advance in
technology is kept and further developed, not rescinded and
chucked back into the dust bin. Well, usually.

Simple - the motor runs quieter, and consumers buy it more
readily. Hence we saw plastic teeth on timing gears.

And they make that last 100,000mi before a PM swap. That's what
it says in my SUV's manual and when the old belts came out they
still looked like new.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA After how many decades of ****ing off
customers because the plastic teeth stripped off of the gears after
40K miles?

The smaller Ford V6 uses rubber timing belts and they insist that you
absolutely MUST replace them on 50,000 mile intervals or bye-bye
motor. GMC apparently has a V8 that way. My stepdaughter's SUV broke
a belt and exploded the motor - the mechanic told her not to replace
the motor because the new one would do exactly the same thing.

My Ford has the larger V6 with a steel timing belt and they go just
short of forever. These cars are advertised 5 years old and with
200,000 miles on them. People actually commute from Sacramento to San
Francisco!

Here's one with almost 250,000 miles on it:
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto...266166468.html

In the '60's you'd be LUCKY to get a motor to last 100,000 miles.

Unless you bought the right car. My Citroen 2CV from 1969 rusted out
from underneath me around 1985 but the engine with 90k miles on it was
still purring and had no oil consumption to speak of. It was carefully
removed from the car at the junk yard and sold for a nice sum of money
to a Norwegian. Meaning I also got good money for a car that would
otherwise have incurred a waste disposal fee.

The only change versus stock was that I replaced many seals with
hand-sawn and polished copper versions. Afterwards it idled as smoothly
as a brand-new Harley, patoomph .. patoomph .. patoomph. The junk yard
owner couldn't believe it. "I only ever saw that stuff on a Bentley".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/