Old February 4th 19, 11:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Default Grocery Bike

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Monday, February 4, 2019 at 11:28:16 AM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 2/4/2019 8:46 AM, Duane wrote:

There are advantages and disadvantages to either backpacks or panniers
and it's the individual's needs/wants that will dictate their choice.

I agree. And the purpose of a discussion group like this is to discuss
those advantages and disadvantages.

I use my backpack for commuting and I have a locker and shower at work.
I don't do groceries on my bike.Â* It's not a question of whether I can
carry things or not for me but a question of locking my bike up outside.
I don't leave my bike outside unattended.

One reason for a grocery bike is to have something to park that doesn't
look like it's worth thousands of dollars, or like it's super-fashionable.

Also, it's worth thinking about where you're parking your bike. At our
usual grocery, I park my bike at the exit where it's visible only to
grocery patrons entering and leaving. At the other, I roll my bike
inside and lean it on the wall near the door.

I don't bother to lock my bike at either place. Security is just a
little wedge thing jammed into my brake lever, to hold my front brake on
tightly.

--
- Frank Krygowski

"Lock it or lose it" is often touted hereabouts. There was a guy
bicycling across Canada a couple of years ago. He was headed East from
British Columbia and he stopped at a store in Montreal, Quebec. When he
came out his bike and all his gear was gone. I don't know what happened
after that. I loaned a friend of mine a very nice Fiori Modena 14 gears
road bike. He phoned me new years eve to tell me that he stopped at a
coffee shop and forgot to lock the bike. It was raining then. When he
came out the bike was gone. All it takes is someone to see an unlocked
bike and grab it. They usually only ride to near their destination and
then dump it. Whatever, the chance of getting a stolen bike back these days is pretty slim.

I hope your luck holds for you when you leave your bike unlocked. Heck
even if you see someone stealing your bike when you're in a store, by the
time you run out of the store your bike is long gone.

Cheers

I remember reading about that. Sucks. Didn’t some locals replace the bike?

There are kits for sale here to make a decent bike look like a trash bike.
Most of the local thieves know their products but it stops the spur of the
moment theft I think.

Anyway, if you want to do that I’m sure there are ways around it. I just
don’t enjoy that. That’s not a criticism. I’m happy to see anyone riding.

--
duane