Old February 6th 19, 07:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

Default Disk brakes might be useful

On 2/6/19 4:34 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 2/5/2019 8:48 PM, AMuzi wrote:

[raised eyebrow] 1000 miles? every year? yikes!

I also consider rims a consumable, but due to heart-shape format or
too many eyelets pulled through. I've never worn out a rim's brake
surface.

I'm glad you said that. I was feeling inadequate because I don't think
I've ever worn out a rim's brake surface.

I've replaced rims mostly when potholes have damaged them so badly that
I can't jack the dents back out (and I've jacked out several bad dents).
Also when switching from 27" to 700c.

Is there a rule of thumb for how thin I can let a braking surface get?
I'm talking about ancient rims that have no indicator groove.

Ime, when you can deform the braking surface by squeezing it between
finger and thumb. Not long after that you'll get a longitudinal split
develop. But it's irrelevant anyway as they don't wear out.