Old February 8th 19, 04:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rolf Mantel[_2_]

Default Grocery Bike

Am 30.01.2019 um 01:38 schrieb James:
I don't like having to start a car for a short trip I could easily make
by bike.Â* While I was living in Brisbane I bought a Bob-Yak trailer, and
with that I could tow at least 20 kg of groceries behind a mountain
bike.Â* I also hitched it to the road bike a couple of times to go to
shops much further away when there was something not very heavy to bring
back.

I would say my $5000 recumbent bike with a massively cool carbon tail
box does not really qualify as a "grocery bike" even though it visits
the superstore 1 mile away from home once a week (towing a child trailer
when I need to get large quantities of shopping); occasionally I carry a
laptop and change of clothing inside the tail box when using it as a
'commuter bike'.

Yesterday the wife calls me at work "The drinking water in our city is
potentially polluted; you can't buy bottled water in the stores any more".

So on the way back from work I stop in a small town half way, buy 18l of
bottled water and put it into my tail box together with the change of
clothing. The laptop bag doesn't fit in any more so I have to hang it
over my shoulder and have to hang it over my shoulder. So (even or
especially) a sports recumbent can double up as an emergency grocery
bike...