Old February 8th 19, 05:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Tech ogling confessions

On 2019-02-06 18:02, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, February 6, 2019 at 5:04:48 PM UTC-8, Mark J.
wrote:
Stopped at the LBS on the way home today, to look at a Trek
gravel bike in person. There are a lot of unpaved roads here
in the Willamette Valley as well as in the mountains around
it.

It was nice, certainly drool-worthy in the
I'm-not-really-serious-yet-about-buying sort of way.

There were lots of attachment points for use on long, hot
summer rides that don't go by a 7-Eleven.

I like the wider bars (they looked wider than the 46's I have
on my Domane, but maybe they were the same). Hydraulic disks
(see our latest RBR discussion, heh), nice wide tires.

THEN

when I was talking about fender mounts, the guy mentions
putting fenders on a "Domane +" E-bike, so I go take a look at
that.

It's a full carbon fast road bike with a electric assist.
Forgive me, RBR, for I have sinned and coveted this bike. I'm
going to try hard to wait until at least 70 before getting one,
partly 'cause I fear the decline into potatohood that it could
spark, but I was tempted. Having another 100-200W in one's
pocket would be something.

Mark J.

The Bike Gallery (Trek) shop downtown also has one of the Orbea
Gain series.
https://www.orbea.com/us-en/ebikes/r...ain-m20-usa-19

Orbea also has a groovy gravel e-assist:
https://www.orbea.com/us-en/ebikes/r...ain-m21-usa-19

Also available in aluminum, although I'm not a 1X fan. The stealth
e-assist bike is becoming really popular. Muzi's Bianchi is
beautiful. Some of the e-assists aren't that stealthy. The
Cannondale Synapse looks like a pregnant guppy. I'd get a
full-on eBike if I lived somewhere like Vancouver and commuted to
downtown -- beat the traffic over the bridge and fly into town.
It's kind of like cheating.

It is. Might as well get the real deal then, zero to 60mph in 3.4
seconds:

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media...if5oi1tjpg.jpg

Neat, but you get stuck in traffic, at least in Oregon where
lane-sharing is NOT legal. In California you can split the lanes on
your eMotorcycle which, BTW, scares the hell out of visitors -- like
me. I don't remember it being legal when I lived there.

Around here, you could take the bike lanes/paths and beat the
traffic. Come over the I-205 bridge from Vancouver (where living is
cheaper) and take bike paths and lanes almost all the way downtown
PDX.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...dge_aerial.jpg
(I-205 bridge between Oregon and Washington -- bike line up the
middle). Watch for trucks, though:
https://pcdn.columbian.com/wp-conten...AAJtQx_1..jpeg

It's quite narrow. In California you'd have homeless sleeping there.
They do not always react friendly when someone on a bike in encroaching
on "their" space and some this had to be censored activist judge
declared it "unconstitutional" to make them move away from such spots.

It's the standard width of a separated bike path. Homeless are further south along I-205, which is like little Calcutta or Night of the Living Dead.

A judge is declared an activist judge if he or she reaches a conclusion that someone doesn't like. BTW, it would be activist judges -- plural. The Circuit Court of Appeals (including the Ninth Circuit) sit in panels of three.. I just won a case there for an insurance company in the Ninth Circuit and have won for a number of business defendants, so its not entirely a liberal give-away court. My favorite was representing Wild Turkey, Coors, Miller and Anheuser-Bush in a suit brought by a pro se prisoner who sued the various brewers and distillers for selling him booze and beer, which ruined his life and led him down the road to criminality. No argument and a memo opinion. The court is pretty tough on crazy pro se litigants.

-- Jay Beattie.