View Single Post
Old May 31st 17, 03:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Carbon Bikes and Quality Control

On Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 7:07:26 PM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 9:16:30 PM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:
Snipped
With Cannondale, customer service has been great. They warrantied all of my broken frames except one -- a 1986 frame that I wore out twenty-five years later. It basically fell apart, but I still didn't get dropped on my face. I don't know what the Cannondale customer service is like now that the company has been sold, but it was good in years past. I think a lot of it has to do with the local rep and the shop -- and customer honesty. If they screwed with me, I'd jump to Trek or Specialized. I have a Roubaix. My son loves his Emonda -- which may be too light for a carbon questioner like me.

I do question carbon. I'm not a risk taker. I'm on blood thinners because of a ski injury years ago (and a couple nasty pulmonary embolisms). I would prefer not to fall on my head again. If I had forks breaking, I probably would go to steel like you -- and then when I broke one of those, I'd go to a recumbent, which would immediately trigger a suicide pact I have with my best riding buddy. "If I show up on one of those, shoot me." "Me, too." So, if I broke a steel fork, I would die -- of a gun shot wound.

-- Jay Beattie.

I don't know about Cannondale but I do know that Park Tools changed from their "Lifetime warranty" to if it breaks you're SOL!. At least that was my experience with them with a couple of tools that brke after VERY LITTLE use. Therefore I've moved to tools NOT made by Park Tools.

As far a bicycle service goes, I don't depend on that up here because far too many shops go out of business and then you can't get the service.

A lifetime frame warranty is only as good as the company's willingness to stand behind it.

Cheers

I've moved away from Park hand tools a long time ago because most of them are junk. Even their cassette removal tools which should never wear out are made of such poor quality steel that the edges wear off on the first use.
Ads

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home