Old August 1st 17, 09:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default New bike for Jay

On 8/1/2017 11:45 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, July 31, 2017 at 8:18:39 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/31/2017 5:45 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 7/31/2017 4:24 PM, wrote:
What,abt the nww bike performance ?

I find that new bike performance is limited by my old legs.
YMMV

... and lungs. And ticker. Plus, the fire in my belly is largely gone.

The fire sometimes comes back, though. We (my wife and I, riding tandem)
were on a pretty leisurely club ride a couple weeks ago. A new young
guy had showed up, and we were riding along chatting with him. He said
he rides to stay in shape for his other sports, etc.

As we talked, one of our club members who's notorious for such behavior
decided to hit high gear and crank away out front for a while, then wait
for the rest of the crew to catch up. When he did that, the newbie
suddenly ended our conversation, saying something like "Excuse me
now..." and took off.

I though "Excuse me???" and told my wife "Let's go." So we reeled him in
and were a comfortable ten feet behind when he caught the rabbit. For
icing on the cake, our rabbit guy (as he always does) left the leisurely
riders for the last five miles or so to crank in at 20 - 25 mph . My
wife and I were close behind, and the newbie was a distant third. It
was quite satisfying.

But with a tandem, terrain is everything. If it weren't fairly flat,
we'd happily ride back with the leisurely crowd.

(P.S. Don't interpret this tale as a claim that I could stick with Jay,
Tom or Duane, let alone James.)

I'm old and slow. I wouldn't ride with you because you'd be in the middle of the road. I'd keep saying, "hey Frank, get over here. You're going to get whacked." You would scold me for being a gutter bunny, although I don't ride on the fog line and rarely ride anywhere with a gutter. We'd ride up on Joerg who would have a pannier full of water, a couple CPUs and a growler. He'd be complaining about psychopaths in cars and the fact that his Gazelle didn't come with factory rack-mounts and room for 35mm steel belted tires or a o-ring chain. He'd have to stop every fifteen minutes to pee. I don't think this NG would want to ride together.

Anyone ever ride with (or even meet) anyone they first got to know
through r.b.*?

I've met several guys I can think of quickly, and almost met one other
one. (That last one, we were going to host on his bike tour until his
route had to change.) I hosted two other r.b.* denizens at various
times, and was hosted by one other one on one of our tours. Another few
were at one or more cycling advocacy events I attended - although come
to think of it, I may have encountered those guys on other discussion
groups.

Online, I had generally agreed with most of these guys on most topics.
One or two guys and I had very different opinions on one particular
topic, but in each case, meeting the guys in person and riding with them
was very pleasant indeed.

--
- Frank Krygowski