Old November 1st 04, 02:00 AM
Jim Flom

"Jim Flom" wrote ...

You would've appreciated a recent editorial in
the Vancouver Sun...

You'll like this:
Wednesday, October 27, 2004
Too Many Canadians Love to Hate Americans
Marilyn Baker
"...Pathetically, our anti-Americans still avidly watch American movies,
listen to American music, buy American fashions and line up for their triple
lattes at Starbucks. Even as we benefit from American achievements in
medicine, culture, and science, we vociferously object to spending serious
money on our military. And why should we? We count on Americans to keep us
secure. Being Canadian means never having to choose a helicopter. Or pay
full price for a submarine.
"The next time you hear someone bash Americans, ask them which race, sex,
religion or creed they hate the most. Ask them if their pension plan
invests in good old American know-how: Microsoft, GM, Gillette, Intel,
Coca-Cola, Wal-Mart, IBM come to mind. Ask them if they know any Americans
personally. My bet is that they will fluster and blubber and get even
angrier.
"As for me, I'm happy to bear witness to the American election. No matter
who wins, I'm glad that through the accident of birth, I'm lucky enough to
be their neighbour."