Old April 17th 08, 07:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Camilo

Default 3 flat tires in a row??

On Apr 16, 10:45 am, c wrote:
a good amount of you (about 1/3) are cynical sons of bitches ... too
much time on your hands? wtf...

the rest, thanks - sincerely - thank you; i posted here asking if it
was normal, and you told me your experiences and i don't feel like the
bike shop was being lazy in fixing my bike - i really did just have a
streak of bad luck, which in the nature of things, is perfectly normal

i appreciate your attention and care

i do happen to live in a different world, apparently - there are
thousand bike shops everywhere, three of which are on the route
between work, school, and home, and they know me by name and know my
bikes and when i walk in they take care of me instantly and i'm back
on the road in about 10 minutes

so yes, the $20 beats the living **** out of having to wash the grease
off my hands for 10 minutes, etc -- why is the minority of this group
so obtusely judgemental and doubtful? did you fail reading
comprehension? what is so impossible about anything i've asked?

those who told me it's stupid to not know the source of the flat are
right on ... i don't mind being insulted because you're being helpful
on balance

the recommendation about kevlar tires is pretty great, i'll be looking
into that next time i have a free hour

new wheels - bike's new, so not likely, but i will get them trued

i do carry a spare tube but it's for emergencies, such as when i'm in
a neighborhood i don't know or if i take a 5+ hr ride ... patch kit
too, multitool, universal-head double-action pump (no gauge on it
though, oh well), etc

side topic -- i've been borrowing a roadbike and it's a different
ballgame entirely, but i'm really digging it more and more ... sooo
efficient, but less "fun" than my hybrid ... i may become a "real"
bicyclist after all

thanks,

C: of course one of the reasons to fix it yourself is so you know for
sure what each flat is caused by. If they're pinch flats, you need to
use higher pressure and/or larger tires. If they're debris, well then
it's bad luck, but that can be mitigated by more observant and careful
riding and tougher tires. If it's a spoke or rough spot in the rim,
better rim tape and/or dressing (smoothing out) the rough spot will
help.

Although I tend to agree that a flat is something that one should fix
him/her self, I would never disagree with your choice because I almost
always pay people to do things I can't do, don't want to do, or dont'
have the time to do - many of which I am perfectly capable of doing
myself. Some years I'll do a complete tune up on my bike and the
multiple other bikes in my house. Other years, I don't feel like
messing with it and pay the LBS to do it. Big deal!

All those guys who criticize: how many of you wouldn't hesitate to
pay the neighbor kid to mow the lawn or clean the gutters or shovel
the driveway?

Good luck.