Old July 1st 03, 06:02 PM
Fred Klingener

Default Suspend or not? Plus trike q's.

"Ian" wrote in message
I have been riding a rear suspension only Challenge Wizard for a couple of
years, but due to an old knee injury am switching to a trike, I already

have
a non suspension Kett Weizel and find with the mesh seat that this is more
comfortable than the 2 wheeler even though I then had a rear shock.
I plan on going for a tadpole trike, what are peoples thoughts on

suspension
on trikes?

I ride a Greenspeed GTO (non-suspended tadpole), and IMO it's not usable on
gravel roads. The occasional pothole on a paved road is acceptable, but the
corduroy or gravel roads just shake my eyeteeth out and rattle them together
with my eyeballs in my brain case.

For the time being, I'm sticking with the GTO and the paved roads, but my
next trike will be suspended. If I built my own, I would suspend at least
the rear, and I would design a clamp that would (optionally) disable the
suspension. (I hereby place that terrific idea in the public domain.)

Too, I'd look hard at some way to get traction on gravel. I've had to walk
the GTO up many hills. Anti-squat in the rear, especially in the lower
(bigger rear) gears would improve it. Based on a casual inspection of
photographs of trike rear suspensions, I have the suspicion that builders
err on the wrong side when they go for 'anti-bob' suspension geometries.

HTH,
Fred Klingener