Old November 2nd 04, 05:08 AM
Steven M. Scharf

"Beverly" wrote in message

snip

I'll be going to the LBS later this
week and would like to have some idea on what to purchase. I would like

stay below $100 for the system. Am I going to be able to purchase a good
system in this price range?

Yes, but maybe not from an LBS, unless you have an exceptionally good one.

For battery powered systems, look at
http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&SKU=LT7814 and
http://store.yahoo.com/phattire1/sigspormirxb.html for the front, and
http://harriscyclery.net/site/itemdetails.cfm?ID=1578 for the rear. You'll
be at right around $100 with shipping. Another option for the rear is the
Trek Disco Inferno. Go to a Trek dealer and ask them to order you TREK
part# 69575. This will cost around $25. A big advantage of these front
systems is the one piece reflector/bulb combination, which results in very
good optics. Optics are important when on bicycle lights, since you need to
use the available power efficiently.

There used to be two good handlebar mount lights with internal batteries,
one from Specialized (5W), one from Performance (6W), but both have been
discontinued; there are no longer any good handlebar mount lights with
internal batteries; the highest power ones that are still available are a
mere 2.4W, which isn't enough. I think that the problem was that the
run-time was just too short with AA batteries and 5 or 6 watts

There is also the option of a dynamo powered system. There are some
mid-quality ones are available for around $50, but the top quality ones will
set you back at least $200. Dynamo's are not well-suited for slow riding,
which is often necessary on multi-use paths.

Avoid front LED lamps for a "seeing" light, though they are fine for "being
seen."

You might also consider a Two-Fish Lock Block and a Maglite S2C016 2 C-Cell
Flashlight. These aren't that powerful, but they do have adjustable optics.