Old August 18th 03, 06:53 PM
Luigi de Guzman

Default Which pedals: nylon or metal?

Rick Onanian wrote in message ...
On 17 Aug 2003 11:41:27 -0700, Luigi de Guzman wrote:
http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.c...=49&SKU=PD1037

You'll be able to mount toeclips and straps onto a metal pedal. Clips

Those pedals look very much like the ones that came
on my GT mountain bike back in '97. I had no problem
using clips and straps on those.

I've actually never seen anyone with nylon/rubber pedals and
clips/straps....

BTW, the original poster said he was concerned about
the teeth wearing out. I was able to get very good
engagement to the flat pedal, even without the clips
and straps, by wearing cheap baseball cleats gotten
for $4 at Wal Mart. In fact, when I used those shoes
with the clips and straps, it was every bit as secure
as clipless, without having to reach down and tighten
the strap.

That was on plain, flat, plastic pedals, without any
teeth at all.

And besides, you could dig deep and beat the tag at second... *grin*

and straps make it *much* easier to spin higher cadences...and feel
better while doing it. Going back to rubber block pedals after having
clips and straps is...unsatifsying.

Clips and straps are good, until you get used to
clipless...

I'm sure. At the moment though I'm shie-ing away from the whole
clipless thing... being able to jump on the bike with any shoes I
happen to have on is a plus; having to put on a particular pair of
shoes just to get on the bike is a bit much for me at this point.
After my crash I can see the safety benefit of clipless (had I been
strapped in, I would have tumbled with the bike and god only knows how
beat-up I would have been) but that still doesn't sell it to me.
Can't go to church in cleated shoes, after all.

at the moment, the next major bike-related buy will be a new 7-speed
freewheel (and maybe cables, etc) for the old Raleigh, then a schmidt
hub dynamo and associated lights for the 'home' bike....but the latter
might have to wait until I get enough cash together to fund it.

-Luigi