Old August 8th 03, 11:01 PM
B. Lafferty

Default Greg LeMond - Inventor Extraordinaire

"Kurgan Gringioni" wrote in
message t...

"B. Lafferty" wrote in message
link.net...

Check this out:

http://www.lemondfitness.com/meetgreg.htm

Greg LeMond - Legacy Of Racing Innovation
1980 Superlight frame
1981 Elevated seat position
1984 Cycling computer, aero bike, aero helmet
1985 Oakley sports shield sunglasses, heart rate monitor
1986 Clipless pedals, carbon frames, Giro helmets
1987 Carbon fork
1989 Floating pedals, aero handlebars
1991 Road racing suspension fork, titanium frame
1992 Electronic shifting, down-loadable bike computer

It was the iron injection toward the end of the 1989 Giro that got him

on
the road to Tour winning form. You believe that, don't you?

Your point is well taken. Lemond did seek out innovations and use

them
at
a time when it was much frowned upon in a very traditionalist sport. I

can
still hear Lou Maltese telling us one hot Sunday morning before a road

race
at Old Westbury, to forget about a waterbottle and just put a couple of
pebbles in our mouths to stimulate saliva flow. For years, TdF racers

were
significantly dehydrated due to failure to ingest enough fluids. Times
change and Lemond did much to change them in pro cycling--especially
increased salaries.

Lemond was an innovator, I'll agree with that, but the list on that

website
is exaggeration of the highest order.

Sort of like the virtual 4 TdF victories. The man seems incapable of

resting
on his laurels gracefully.

In the advertising industry it's called "puffing." There is a fine line
where it becomes false advertising. There is a lot of puff on Lemond's site.

As for virtual tour winners, I think Jan should be creditied with 1998.
If Pantani ever comes clean, lets see it Leblanc has the balls to strip
Pantani of his title, a la Garin.