Old July 25th 06, 02:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

Default Scamdium strikes again!

In article m,
"Phil Lee, Squid" wrote:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/ph...ic.php?t=19036

Aluminum BB axles are not a good material selection...

No. Especially as the left side is more prone to breaking (subject to
both torque and bending), and it will break under highest load which is
while standing on it. Then you'll get dumped into the road, possibly
right in front of a large motor vehicle.

The only time I had this happen was in 1984 when I stood up at a stop
sign to accelerate from a stop, snapped off the left side of the BB
axle, and ended up on my ass in the road. Fortunately it was a low
traffic side street. Gouged the heck out of my left ankle, too.