Old April 24th 17, 07:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Default torque wrench issues

John B Slocomb wrote:
:On Sun, 23 Apr 2017 12:04:21 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
:wrote:

:On Sun, 23 Apr 2017 09:43:46 -0500, AMuzi wrote:
:
:In 1969 Crafstman were USA forged (by SK if I recall) but
:that's all changed now. We use a lot of Snap On which is
:deathly expensive but well worth the price for heavily used
:items.
:
:The Craftsman brand is now owned by Stanley Black & Decker.
:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craftsman_(tools)
:Who owns which tool companies might be useful:
:http://toolguyd.com/tool-brands-corporate-affiliations/
:
:I recently bought a Craftsman 10 pc 3/8" drive metric socket wrench
:set #934554. The box was sealed closed, so I couldn't inspect it
:before buying. I wouldn't have bought it had I seen it in advance:
:http://www.sears.com/craftsman-10-pc-6-pt-3-8-in-standard/p-00934553000P
:It works, but the design, finish, and overall quality are seriously
:lacking. However, it was only $10 (on sale), so I can't really
:complain.

:And that is exactly the point. "Cheap" sells.

:Harbor Freight started as a guy who imported a container full of cheap
:Chinese tools and sold them out of his garage. Walmart, the largest

Harbor Freight makes no bones about being cheap. Craftsman, on the
other hand, are one of many brands that replaced good quality goods
with crap, but still charge the same price they did when they sold
good stuff. The set Jeff bought can be had from HF for much less (and
very nearly the same stuff, they're both made by Apex for the
respective retailers.) HF's good line of tools are actually pretty
nice.

--
sig 39