Old November 16th 18, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

Default Practice what you preach?

On 16/11/2018 09:21, True Blue wrote:
On Friday, November 16, 2018 at 9:01:35 AM UTC, TMS320 wrote:
On 15/11/2018 09:52, Peter Keller wrote:
On 11/14/18 11:07 PM, True Blue wrote:

Hmmm...try this:-
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...284529 597371

Thanks. That works. Personally when coming up behind a horse I
slow down and ring the bell well in advance, and try to give the
horse a wide berth. It is safer also for me to pass outside
kicking range. And the horse has plenty of notice that I am there
because of the bell, even if the rider did not hear it.

I am not sure what the reaction to a bell would be. Voice might be
more recognisable to the horse? Anyway, I usually ask the horsist
whether it is ok to go past.

I use a bell. I only ever ride alone or with Mrs, on an old railway
line that's used by quite a lot of horses.
The riders are always grateful for the notice.

They might be used to a bell in that case. I use country roads where
they may be less familiar. I hope that my interaction gives some
indication to them that they are not "in the way" and I don't mind
slowing down.

Some of the lycra crowd just don't bother.

But do they preach something they don't practice?