Old February 9th 10, 03:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman 起豺_2_]

Default 6'7 guy needs help looking for a road bike for a 585 Mile 6Day Charity Bike Ride

Paul Sokolson wrote:
Hey Everybody, I'm definitely a non experienced cyclist and have
signed up to do the AIDS LifeCycle bike ride from San Francisco to Los
Angeles to raise money for HIV/AIDS.

^^^
Would it not be better for humanity to raise money AGAINST HIV/AIDS?

I dont really know what I got
myself into.

Yes, that is clear.

I am 6'7 220 lbs with a 36 inch inseam. I thought I would
be able to borrow a friends bike for the ride but unfortunately the
largest I found is a 20 inch frame. I'm looking to spend as little as
possible (under 500 if possible). I do not plan to continue cycling as
a sport.

What is wrong with you? Cycling is the best form of activity.

I just want to find a comfortable bike that fits me for this
6 Day trek.

Not going to happen - you need to ride regularly to be comfortable on an
upright bicycle for those types of distances. A recumbent might be seat
comfortable, but not for $500 new (or used, unless you know what you are
looking for) and would probably cause knee pain at 97.5 miles per day.

However, for a well trained cyclist in good health, this ride would not
be uncomfortable.

Any recommendations on where I could buy a 24inch/61CM
bike for my price range or better yet find someone who would be
willing to help me help others by lending me a bike?

Again, I am fairly new to this and any info would be greatfully
appreciated!!!

Fine a good local bike shop that can fit you properly, and the pain will
be minimized.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007