Old September 4th 12, 02:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

Default Chain-lubing technique

On 9/3/2012 11:01 PM, OccasionalFlyer wrote:
I've been lubing my chain and cogs (more or less) for many years.
It's time to do this for the first time on my current road bike. I
usually use spray citrus degreaser and spray Tri-Flow. I want to
switch to a method that does not get any of the cleaning chemicals on
the wheel or the frame.

Well, removing the chain (using a SRAM or similar quick-link)is my
preferred method. I can "soak" the chain and limit the amount of excess
that gets on cogs & pulleys.

I've used a drip bottle of Tri-Flow for years on my rain & commuter
bikes. Tri-Flow (and most oils) do a pretty good job of penetrating, so
just a drop on each pivot does the job. I prefer to do this with the
chain on a large plastic bag on the shop floor, then leave it overnight
to let the lube seep into the pivot. Alternately, put one drop on the
top of each link on the lower chain run, rotate chain and continue until
finished. Spin crank backwards a while to flex chain and encourage
penetration, then wipe off excess.

The drip bottle, when used liberally, wastes a moderate amount of lube
that I have to wipe off, but a spray bottle must really use up a lot.

PS - with a /really/ clean chain and cogs, you get a fair amount of
chain noise as they mesh. A little extra that passes from chain to cogs
is not such a bad idea; perhaps this cuts down on chainring wear just a
tad, too.
-Mark J.