Old March 3rd 15, 12:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rolf Mantel

Default generators for dummies

Am 03.03.2015 um 10:18 schrieb Andre Jute:
On Tuesday, March 3, 2015 at 8:40:02 AM UTC, Rolf Mantel wrote:
Am 03.03.2015 um 08:05 schrieb Andre Jute:
On Tuesday, March 3, 2015 at 5:37:38 AM UTC, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

And they'd learn even more from reading the more current
follow-up article at:
http://www.ctc.org.uk/file/public/fe...ub-dynamos.pdf

Another Andreas Oehler special.

Would you recommend a test conducted by Shimano employees with
Shimano-developed test equipment in which Shimano products ae
tested against the the products of other manufacturers?

I would, on the assumption that some experts from Shimano test
together with other experts not belonging to Shimano.

Neither Chris Juden nor Olaf Schulz work for generator companies.

Why should Germans be excused the same publicity-crime?

The German 'Stiftung Warentest' has shown how ludicrous testing
becomes if the tester is honest but refuses to collaborate with
industry experts: if you don't know what is meaningful to test,
you can stop testing immediately.

So, according to you, Chris Juden and Olaf Schulz are "honest
but...don't know what is meaningful to test".

No, they know how to test, and they do test. They (at least Andreas
Oehler and Olaf Schulz) do regularly discuss their ideas.

Implying that Oehler is leading them around by the nose is quite a
bit further than I went, Rolf.

It's also a lot further than I went.

my opinion stops very
sharply at where the methodology and personnel of these tests is
unprofessional and unseemly, with the unseemliness being in my book
by far the greater sin.

This is where we differ: Being unprofessional means not to build the
best test rig that you can think of. Being unseemly means staying in
close contact with the manufacturer of equipment to be tested.

Given that there is one person who knows a lot more about testing drag
on bicycle dynamoes than the rest of the world, I can either be
unprofessional by not talking to him or unseemly by talking to him.
Given the choice between unprofessional and unseemly, being
unprofessional is by far the greater sin.

The last time these suspect tests came up, the German excuse was
that a small *German" magazine was too poor to own the equipment to
conduct the tests, to which the answer was that no test at all is
better than a test so dominated by one *local* manufacturer by its
input of equipment and personnel.

This time round, the test rigs were build by Olaf Schulz, and still
you're not happy.

In that case, why are they on the test at all, except as
window-dressing for Oehler's promotion of his employer's generators?
Which, I remind you, is what I said in the first instance.

Chris Juden as 'technical editor' of the CTC is the author responsible
for chosing what tests to write, how and with whom to execute the tests
and how to present the result. Olaf Schulz (whose main expertise in
bicycles is with testing lights rather than hubs) had built the test rig
and executed the majority of the tests.